GoDaddy offers email migration services for Office 365. We take care of the hard work of moving your email data and send you and your users a message every step of the way, along with all the necessary instructions to complete the transition.
If you have configured your Outlook client with POP email settings, you and your users must download and install the Outlook Migration Wizard to migrate local data. The wizard copies your client's settings and prepares each desktop with the existing settings. Make sure all your computers / users meet the requirements.
Starting The Migration
To start your Office 365 Migration, you need to contact a GoDaddy guide to guide you through customizing your migration, which includes:
- Which mailboxes are migrated to Office 365?
- Set up plugins like advanced email security, email archiving or email backup
- Add email aliases, distribution groups and / or forwarding addresses
- Choose a date to use Office 365
Step 1: domain verification
To set up Office 365, proof that you are the owner of your domain is required by entering a TXT entry in the DNS domain. We will email you instructions for updating your DNS. It is important to do this as soon as possible, otherwise your migration may be delayed. This change does not interrupt your current email service.
Note: If you have already set up your Office 365 accounts before contacting a guide, or if your domain and DNS are on the same GoDaddy account as the migration, we will do this for you. TXT for GoDaddy managed DNS is not normally required.
Step 2: collect passwords
- In order for us to migrate email from your current email service to Office 365, we need to access your accounts to start data synchronization. To this end, our migration partner SkyKick (email@example.com) sends each end user an email with a clear and secure link requesting you or your users to provide their email address and password. This is the current email address and password that you are using now.
Note: If you migrate from GoDaddy Workspace email, you don't have to enter your current email passwords. We already have everything we need for this part and you don't need to provide additional details or passwords to continue.
- After entering your current information, the page will ask you to set a password for your new Office 365 account. This is the password you use to access your new account.
- Once you have created your new password, we will start migrating emails in the background as you continue to use your current email service.
Step 3: download the Outlook Migration Wizard
Make sure that you and your end users are qualified to use this program following the requirements. If you are not authorized, you may not receive all of your data.
To facilitate the migration process and allow us to move your data and settings even further, we recommend that you and your email users download and install the Outlook Migration Wizard before the scheduled update date. The wizard is only available to Windows PC users.
If qualified users download and install the program before the migration date, the Outlook Migration Wizard does the following for them:
- Automatically create a new profile in Outlook using new Office 365 email
- Migrate local .PST content from the old email to the new profile. This means things like:
- POP email data
- Contacts / calendar / tasks
- Autofill cache
The account owner receives daily reports of Outlook Migration Assistant downloads from their email users. We recommend everyone (who can) download and install the wizard as soon as possible.
Anyone who cannot use the Outlook Migration Wizard must manually move local content and configure their client manually. We send instructions to these users on the migration date. Mac users and users without Outlook already configured cannot use the Outlook Migration Wizard.
Step 4: Migration day: DNS change
You can use Office 365 depending on the date and time you choose. You will need to change your DNS settings to point to Office 365 before using your new email.
These settings will be emailed to you 8 hours prior to migration. So if you need to take steps to prepare with your DNS provider, give them these DNS instructions. If your domain and DNS are with GoDaddy, we will make these changes for you.
If you downloaded the Outlook Migration Wizard, you must update DNS so that the wizard can complete the configuration of your Outlook client.
Step 5: finishing the touches
When you use your email, almost all of the data is there, but you may be missing some of your most recent emails. Once you use Office 365, you need to schedule up to 48 hours as we sync the final email from your old email server with your new Office 365 account.
We will monitor your old email accounts for up to 72 hours if emails are diverted during the transition.
Enjoy upgrading to Office 365!